Office of the State Superintendent of Education
1050 First Street, NE
Washington, DC 20002
Website: Teacher Certification and Licensing
Those holding an out of state active full teaching certificate must apply for an DC initial teaching credential. Initial teaching credentials are valid for three years and are not renewable.
Include the following materials with application.
- A copy of active full teaching credentials
- An Identity History Summary Check issued by the FBI or approved FBI Channeler Agency
- Official education transcripts
- Passing test scores for applicable basic skills and subject content exams appropriate for license
- All of final end-of-year performance rating reports verifying effective teaching for the last two years
Applications are submitted through The Educator Credential Information System (ECIS).
How to Apply – Educator Credential Information System