PO Box 110500
Juneau, AK 99811-0500
801 West 10th Street, Suite 200
Website: Teacher Certification
An Initial Out-of-State teacher certificate is available for educators who are currently certified in another state to teach, and who would like to begin teaching in Alaska. To qualify applicants must meet the following requirements.
- Has never held an Alaska teacher certificate
- Holds a current, valid out-of-state teacher certificate at the time the applicant’s contract for instructional services begins in an Alaska.
An Initial/Out-of-State teacher certificate will be valid for one year, but may be reissued twice. During that time the following must be completed.
- Official/Original score report showing passing scores on an approved basic competency exam (BCE)
- Official education program transcripts
- Official transcripts showing completion of 3 semester hours of approved Alaska studies coursework and 3 semester hours of approved Alaska multicultural coursework – 6 hours of Alaska studies