In keeping with its mission, Martin Luther College requires all bachelor of science in education graduates to meet the requirements necessary to obtain Minnesota licensure in their chosen field(s) of study.  Graduates are eligible for assignment to Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS) schools throughout the United States and beyond.  In addition, graduates are qualified for positions in Minnesota public schools as stipulated by their license.

MLC currently offers only one program for licensure in graduate studies.  Graduates of the Master of Science in Education – Special Education emphasis may choose the option of earning a MN Special Education Learning Disabilities license as part of the program.  The LD license requires an initial MN teaching license, which those who received their bachelor’s degree from MLC may obtain through the Post-baccalaureate Licensure Program.  Contact the Licensure Office at the link below for more information.

Requirements of Other States

Licensure requirements vary from state to state.  While other states recognize the Minnesota license, it does not mean automatic reciprocity.  Since MLC’s education programs are approved by its regional accreditation agency, The Higher Learning Commission, and by the Minnesota’s Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board, other states recognize MLC’s education programs as valid.  An evaluation of the program, by submission of an application, an official transcript, proof of licensure and experience, and an application fee are required for most states.  Additional state specific coursework and/or testing may also be required.

Contact information and initial information for obtaining a license in another state is available to you by clicking on the state located in the menu on the right.

MLC stands ready to assist students that look to pursue licenses in other states.

  • Contact MLC’s Licensure Office at for licensure questions.
  • Official transcripts are available by submitting the completed request form to the Record Office.

There are many links to state agencies and documents included in these pages.  An attempt to keep the information current will be done by periodic review.  If you find links that are no longer active, please alert Deb Plath (  Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.