Jim Unke Memorial Scholarship/in News & Notes /by Leah Matzke
New Ulm, MN – Our help is needed in honoring and carrying forward the gospel ministry legacy of Jim Unke, MLC’s long-time Athletic Director who passed away last summer. Anyone who knew Jim knew that he cared deeply about athletics at MLC, but his passion for sports at the college was singularly focused on assisting in the growth and development of future pastors, teachers, and staff ministers. The Jim Unke Memorial Scholarship will honor and carry forward Coach Unke’s legacy of gospel ministry by financially supporting the training of future pastors, teachers, and staff ministers at MLC for long into the future. The campaign is seeking to raise $25,000 over 25 days in honor of Jim’s 25 years of service to MLC as Athletic Director. Please partner with the “25-25-25 Campaign” in carrying forward Jim’s ministry impact at MLC for generations to come through the establishment of the Jim Unke Memorial Scholarship!
Here’s how you can partner with the campaign:
- Watch the campaign promo video attached to this post
- Donate to the campaign at https://gofund.me/93f2dcba
and follow the GoFundMe progress throughout the month of January
- Like the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/
unkememorialscholarship and look for campaign updates and further video content over the next 25 days
- Share this campaign with others in any capacity that you are willing and able–sharing on Facebook and other social media platforms, sending the above links to whomever you think might be interested, etc.”
Click here to watch the Jim Unke Memorial Scholarship video.
Call Activity/in News & Notes /by Leah Matzke
- Mr. Duane Vance (Illinois Lutheran Schools) has received a call to MLC to serve as a professor of education and as a middle and secondary student teacher supervisor.
- Pastor Aaron Dolan (Fox Valley LHS) has accepted the call to MLC to serve as theology professor and coach.
- Dr. Nichole LaGrow (Appleton) has accepted the call to MLC to serve as professor of education and director of Nontraditional Programs (Competency-Based Education).
- Dr. Martin LaGrow (Appleton) has accepted the call to MLC to serve as professor of education and instructional design (Competency-Based Education).
- Admissions Counselor Martín Santos received a call to serve at Huron Valley LHS and Palabra de Vida-Detroit.
- Professor Nicolas Schmoller (Theology & Foreign Language) received a call to serve as pastor at Good Shepherd-Midland MI.
- VP for Student Life Jeff Schone received a call to serve as pastor at St. John-Whitewater WI.
- Professor Breanna Olson (PE) received a call to serve as dean of women, coach, and teacher at Fox Valley LHS.
- Admissions Counselor Halie Flores accepted a call to teach kindergarten at Immanuel LES-Greenville WI.
- Campus Pastor John Boeder accepted a call to serve as pastor at Ascension-Escondido CA.
- Ms. Jessica Schmidt (ECLC assistant teacher) accepted a call to serve as director and teacher at God’s Treasures Child Care of Zion-Winthrop MN.
- Ms. Catherine St. John (ECLC lead teacher) returned a call to serve as preschool director and 3K teacher at Trinity/St. Luke-Watertown WI.
Martin Luther King Jr. Day/in News & Notes /by Leah Matzke
Martin Luther King Jr. Day at MLC prepares students for ministry in a multicultural society. MLC’s upcoming celebration of MLK Day takes place on January 16, 2023, and centers on 1 Corinthians 12:12: “Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ.”
MLC will host keynote speaker Ronald Kelly and provide a variety of activities for the campus family, including a social dynamic simulation, a movie discussion, choir and fine arts workshops, a panel discussion, and more.
Pictured: Keynote speaker Ronald Kelly with his family
Fun Amid Finals/in News & Notes /by Leah Matzke
The end of the semester is packed with studying, recitals, and projects, but at MLC, it’s also packed with fun! Basketball and drama (the scripted kind) relieved the stress of finals.
Dawn of Redeeming Grace/in News & Notes /by Leah Matzke
International Education Week/in News & Notes /by Leah Matzke
On November 14-18, the Cultural Engagement Center (CEC) celebrated International Education Week.
International Coordinator Professor Tingting Schwartz said, “I found International Education Week to serve two purposes: empowering our international students to share their unique stories and perspectives, and increasing cultural awareness on campus so that we can be better equipped for the Great Commission.”
Each day of the week, one of MLC’s international students read Scripture in their home language during morning chapel. On November 18, Yijin Wang (pictured) read Malachi 4 in Mandarin.
The CEC also hosted nightly presentations on students’ experiences abroad. Offerings included presentations from Rebekah White (Loving Shepherd-Milwaukee), Katherine Boehlke (Good Shepherd-Burnsville MN), and Kendra Rivera (Messiah-South Windsor CT) about studying abroad in Berlin, Limerick, and London, respectively, and a discussion with the International Student Panel.
Betty Kohn Fieldhouse Dedication Date Change/in News & Notes /by Leah Matzke
MLC Interim Athletic Director Announced/in News & Notes /by Leah Matzke
- Mr. Dave Biedenbender, who currently serves as an admissions counselor, has accepted the appointment as interim athletic director for the 2022-23 school year. In addition to having earned a master’s in athletic administration, Dave has considerable coaching experience and has worked with the MLC athletic department in many capacities.
- Mr. Jeff Sitz, a recently retired athletic director at Wisconsin Lutheran High School in Milwaukee and assistant executive director of the Wisconsin Athletic Directors Association, has agreed to serve as a consultant/mentor for Mr. Biedenbender as he assumes the interim athletic director role.
- The MLC Governing Board, at its October meeting, will determine the wisest long-term path for moving forward to fill the athletic director position.
JIM UNKE MEMORIAL SERVICE/in News & Notes /by Leah Matzke
Martin Luther College
1995 Luther Court
New Ulm, MN 56073
1 (507) 354-8221
Need Help? Contact Us