The Schantz organ enjoys pride of place on the northeast wall of the chapel. The organ’s primary purpose is to meet the needs of Lutheran liturgical worship at MLC. As a result, the tonal design emphasizes resources to lead congregational singing, accompany choirs, and provide other service music. A second intent is to support the college’s organ instruction program with a versatile instrument for lessons and practice. Sufficient resources allow for a wide range of organ compositions.
Although informed by European organ design of various periods and locations, this organ is influenced especially by American organ building from the late 19th century to the present. Acknowledging the heritage of Lutheranism, this college, and the greater New Ulm community, the organ utilizes a contemporary German nomenclature.
The organ was built by the Schantz Organ Company (Orrville, Ohio, established 1873). It is encased in one of the largest wooden cases built by the firm.