The Seminary Certification Program at Martin Luther College provides an opportunity for men who are older than traditional college students to prepare for the pastoral ministry of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS). Students who successfully complete the program and demonstrate appropriate spiritual, academic, and personal attributes are recommended to Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary (WLS) to continue preparation for the pastoral ministry.
- The Seminary Certification program is designed for men who have demonstrated spiritual maturity and leadership skills in their local congregations.
- Men older than traditional college students have the option of either a Bachelor of Arts program or a Seminary Certification program.
- Men who are married or older than 21, and who have not attended MLC, should first contact Dr. Alan Sorum at Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary (email@example.com).
- Men whom the WELS Non-traditional Student Committee recommends to apply for the MLC Seminary Certification program should then contact the MLC Admissions Office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The Dean for Pre-Seminary Studies tailors a Seminary Certification program to correspond with the academic background of each student. Those who arrive with a previous bachelor’s degree normally require two years to complete seminary certification. Those who arrive without a degree normally require three years.
- MLC awards a certificate to those who successfully complete their prescribed program.
- Students who complete a Bachelor of Science degree at MLC and then decide to prepare for pastoral ministry may enroll in a two-year Seminary Certification program with the approval of both the Education Dean and the Pre-seminary Dean.
Students who hold a bachelor’s degree before they enroll need two years to complete their certification requirements. The Dean for Pre-Seminary Studies draws up their certification program from the courses listed above, giving priority to religion and Biblical language courses. As much as possible, other listed courses that are not among the certification student’s previous college credits are included in the individual student’s certification program. Most certification students should anticipate full-time semesters – a minimum of 12 credits, but usually 15-18, depending upon previous college credits.
The length of time needed to complete the requirements of a Seminary Certification program for students enrolling without a bachelor’s degree will usually be three years, depending upon previous college credits.
In addition to the general education courses students must take the program courses shown below.
ENG3311 Advanced Christian Rhetoric
ENGxxxx English Literature elective
GRK1101 Elementary Classical Greek I
GRK1102 Elementary Classical Greek II
GRK2001 Intermediate Koine Greek I
HEB1001 Elementary Biblical Hebrew I
HEB1002 Elementary Biblical Hebrew II
HEB2001 Intermediate Biblical Hebrew I
HEB2002 Intermediate Biblical Hebrew II
HIS2112 The Rise of the West
HISxxxx History elective
PHI2001 Introduction to Philosophy
PSY2001 Introduction to Psychology
THE3001 Christian Doctrine I
THE3002 Christian Doctrine II
THE3011 St. John’s Gospel (3 year certification program)
THE3012 Selections from St. John’s Gospen (2 year certification program)
THE4010 The Book of Acts
THE4011 First Corinthians
Two Free Electives