MLC has a master’s degree that results in Minnesota Learning Disabilities licensure. All MLC education majors can earn this degree and LD license.

Those with a special education major earning the ABS license can earn the degree more quickly and with less cost than those earning other majors/minors. Here’s how!

The special education master’s program plan reveals several courses that are taught dual-level, at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Qualifying undergraduates can take up to three dual-level courses at the graduate level to fulfill both their undergraduate and graduate requirements. They can retake three additional dual-level courses at the graduate level by completing only the graduate-level work and paying half the course cost.

In this way, someone who completes the MLC ABS and then the master’s LD license can save almost half the time and money when earning the MS in Education with a special education emphasis. See specific details below:

Dual-Level Courses
Undergraduate students in the special education major may utilize dual-level courses as part of a bachelor’s plus master’s plan. Qualifying undergraduate students may take up to nine graduate credits that apply to both degrees. Nine additional credits taken at the undergraduate level may be retaken at the graduate level for half the cost with graduate requirements only.

Qualifying undergraduates may take these courses at the graduate level

  • SPE2102/5202 Diagnosis and Assessment of Students with Special Needs
  • SPE3101/5209 Learning Disabilities and Emotional/Behavioral Disorders
  • SPE3103/5203 Transition Planning & Collaboration in Special Education

Undergraduate students may retake these courses at the graduate level

(50% graduate tuition / graduate work only)

  • SPE1101/5211 Foundations of Special Education
  • SPE2101/5201 Educating the Exceptional Learner
  • SPE2103/5213 The IEP Process and Professional Practice

Dual-Level Course Policy
Some graduate courses are taught dual-level with undergraduate courses.

Undergraduates generally take dual-level courses for undergraduate credit. Should the undergraduate student later need to take the course as a graduate student, additional work is necessary to receive graduate credit. The instructor and director of graduate studies shall detail these specific requirements prior to an applicant’s enrollment in the course. The following process will be used:

  1. The graduate student enrolls in the graduate course when it is offered.
  2. The graduate student completes only the graduate-level course requirements that are beyond the undergraduate requirements.
  3. The graduate-level grade is based solely upon the specific graduate-level requirements.
  4. The graduate student pays 50% tuition.
  5. Dual-level undergraduate and graduate courses cover similar course content. The titles and descriptions of the two courses reflect the similarity of the subject matter. The courses may have the same instructor.
  6. The syllabus for the dual-level course must clearly delineate the additional requirements and greater expectations for graduate students.
  7. Dual-level courses shall be considered to have met minimum enrollment requirements if the total enrollment meets expectations for at least one of the pair of courses.
  8. An undergraduate student of senior standing with a GPA of 3.0 or higher may register for up to nine dual-level credits at the graduate level with the approval of the undergraduate dean of education and the approval of the director of graduate studies. Graduate credits earned for dual-level courses apply toward the baccalaureate degree and may also be transferred into the student’s graduate program. Graduate credits that are not dual-level do not apply toward a baccalaureate degree. Permission to take graduate courses does not constitute admission to the graduate program, as the baccalaureate degree must be earned first.