Martin Luther College
This award is given to recognize a Martin Luther College student or graduate who expresses clearly and beautifully, in image and word, a personal reflection on a ministry experience overseas.
Johannah Crass MLC ’14
Johanna taught 31 fifth-grade students in Antigua in 2015-2016. The previous year, 2014-2015, she served in another international mission, teaching English Bible studies in Novosibirsk, Russia.
Since then . . .
I am hoping to be assigned to serve a school in May 2016. God willing, I will start out on an all-new adventure in my very own country. I want to encourage the children I teach to consider mission work. Travel not just to see things, but to do things and to experience something that will change you and others forever. I am confident that the Lord used these challenging experiences to shape me to serve his will. What a blessing it is to be one of the harvesters!
Purposes of the MLC Thalassa Prize
- To express gratitude to God for the opportunity to serve him in international venues.
- To provide an opportunity for MLC students and graduates in international ministry to share their stories.
- To motivate and inspire current MLC students to consider serving overseas.
- To bring glory to God through excellence in the arts of photography and creative writing.
- To reaffirm through image and word the dignity of the entire human race and the desire of God to save all people.
- Open to all MLC undergraduates and graduates who have done ministry or are doing ministry outside the United States.
- Each entry must include
- A completed entry form.
- A color digital photograph taken in a foreign mission field.
- A personal reflection on ministry in that foreign mission field.
- Entrants may submit as many entries as they wish.
- Deadline for all submissions: April 30, 2017
- Check out photo and essay specifications, judging criteria, and tips for entrants here.
- The Thalassa Prize recipient will be announced in May or June.
- The prize will be divided equally between the winner and an international mission of the winner’s choice.