Over the years many WELS/ELS members have desired to assist our students, especially a growing number of students with families. The establishment of an on-campus food bank provides such an opportunity.
How Does the Food Bank Work?
The Food Bank depends on the contributions of our churches, Organizations and individuals. We accept non-perishable food items as well as personal and household cleaning items. Food donations are sorted onto shelves. Money that has been donated is used to purchase needed staple foods. In this way the families can receive a certain amount of basic supplies. Students will come to the Food Bank once a month and pick up items on a shopping guide that is based on the amount of food on hand.
What Kind of Food Do We Need?
• muffin mixes, cookie mixes, and brownie mixes
• brown and powdered sugar
• flour 5# bags
• sugar 5# bags
• pancake mix and pancake syrup
• pie fillings
• chocolate chips
• canned meats: tuna, chicken, and small hams
• Chunky soups or Progresso soups
• creamed soups: mushroom and chicken
• canned fruit: peaches, pears, mandarin oranges, and pineapple (lite)
(NO fruit cocktail)
• applesauce, any size jar
• pasta: lasagna, egg noodles, spaghetti, or any other kind
• spaghetti sauce: Hunts, Prego, Ragu, or store brand
• Minute Rice or long cook rice
• only KRAFT Mac and Cheese
• canned tomatoes: sauce, chunks, diced, and whole
• canned beans: Bush’s baked beans, black beans
• jelly, peanut butter
• cooking oil (48 oz. or smaller)
• pickles, ketchup, mustard
• bottles of fruit blend juices such as Old Orchard (64 oz. size)
• regular coffee or K-cups (NO instant or decaf)
• microwave popcorn
• specialty crackers (Triscuit, Cheese, Ritz)
• liquid laundry soap and dish soap
• toothpaste, shampoo
• packages of toilet paper
• paper towels, Kleenex
• toilet bowl cleaner and other cleaning supplies
PLEASE WATCH EXPIRATION DATES
Gift cards for Hy-Vee grocery store, Cash Wise grocery store, Wal-Mart, and
How Can You Help?
Organizations may collect money or food items at their monthly
meeting or send a monthly check. Sunday school and Day School
children could bring one can or boxed item on a special day or a monthlong door collection could be taken at church. No gift is too small.
For more information please contact:
Martin Luther College
1995 Luther Court
New Ulm, MN 56073
Please make checks payable to Martin Luther College Food Bank. Someone can meet you if you are bringing food items to MLC, just call ahead.