Carl L. Schweppe (1892-1969) joined the faculty of Dr. Martin Luther College as an English professor in 1920 and served as president from 1936 to 1966. As president, Schweppe was committed to providing adequate women’s housing and up-to-date music facilities. The construction of Centennial Hall and the Music Center accomplished those goals. When President Schweppe retired, having taken the college through the difficult depression and war years, as well as the optimistic post-war boom, he had been a part of the school for 46 of its 82 years. The late Professor Morton Schroeder wrote in his book A Time to Remember (1984), “Small wonder his name and that of the college are inextricably intertwined.”
Income from the fund is distributed to students with financial need.