Prayers During War
In Time of War
- O Lord God of infinite mercy, we humbly implore You to look down on the nations now engaged in war. Do not count Your people’s sins against them, but grant them true repentance, that the lusts of the human heart may be conquered by Your Spirit of gentleness and righteousness. Look in mercy on those immediately exposed to peril. Comfort the prisoners, relieve the sufferings of the wounded, and show mercy to the dying. According to Your good and gracious will, remove the causes and occasions of this war, and restore peace among the nations; through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
- Almighty God, You alone are our strong Defender, and ever-present help in time of trouble. Watch over and defend our military personnel, and all others who defend our life and liberty, that they may serve justly and honorably in the pursuit of peace. Grant them courage and strength in their time of service, and bring them safely home to their families and communities; through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
For Our Nation
- Almighty God, Ruler of all the peoples of the earth, we implore You to forgive our shortcomings as a nation. Purify our hearts to see and love the truth, give wisdom to our leaders and steadfastness to our people, and keep this nation in Your tender care during these difficult times; through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
- Bless and preserve this nation under the shadow of Your almighty wing. Remind us always to live by Your mercy and not by our merit, for You cause the rain and the sunshine to fall upon the good and the wicked alike. Grant safety to all who dwell in our land, both the citizen and the guest, that all who live here may go about their daily business without fear or terror. Bless our land with peace and unity, bountiful harvest and productive labor. Defend us from every danger, and guard and protect us from all evil; through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
For Those in the Armed Forces
- O Lord God of hosts, stretch forth Your almighty arm to strengthen and protect those who serve in the armed forces of our country. Support them as they mourn the loss of their comrades, and grant them diligence in their high calling of defending the freedoms of our nation; through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
- O Lord God of Hosts, stretch forth Your almighty hand to strengthen the men and women of our armed forces. Give them wisdom in all things, that they might serve You without stumbling or stain. Keep their families safe and sound during these days of separation. Protect our soldiers in battle, that they might soon return to their homes to serve You in peace and quietness; through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
For Chaplains in the Armed Forces
- Blessed Lord, You commissioned Your disciples to continue the work which the Father sent You into the world to do. Support with Your Word and Spirit those who minister in the armed forces of our country. Give them grace to preach the Gospel boldly and to administer Your sacraments faithfully. Strengthen them in temptation, and give them courage in the perils of their calling, that they might glorify You before all people; through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
In the Day of Trouble
- We call on You, O Lord, during these troubled days, and ask You to give us an increase of faith and hope, that, in the end, we might come to our everlasting inheritance in You; through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
- O God, in this time of adversity, be for us a Refuge, and in battle our Consolation, that, in the end, when You shall come to judge the earth, we, who have followed You in sorrow, might be partakers with You in joy; through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
For the Suffering
- Father of all mercies and God of all comfort, look in pity on all who are suffering during this time of strife and warfare. Protect the defenseless, heal the wounded, and sustain the homeless and hungry. Turn the hearts of our enemies, and forgive both them and us for our share in the sin that has brought this anguish on humanity. Open to us a way of reconciliation, and lead us to the path of peace; through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
For Those Who Grieve
- You are the Father of all mercies and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction. Bless those who grieve the death of loved ones, especially those who mourn the loss of loved ones during this time of war. You have conquered death in the death of Your dear Son, our Savior Jesus Christ, who embraced the world in His dark death. Bring hope through the Word of Christ to all who mourn, that they may learn to hand over all of their sorrows to Jesus, the Man of sorrows, who is personally acquainted with our suffering. Remind us always, especially in the time of death, that Your will is always good and gracious to save; through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
For Those Who Travel
- Lord God our Father, You hold all creation in Your hands, caring for the birds in the air and clothing the lilies in the field. Watch over and protect us in all things. Frustrate the evil intentions of those who would harm us. Grant safety to all those who travel, especially those who must fly. Bless our efforts to increase our security, but in all things teach us to place the safety of ourselves and our loved ones into Your hands, confident that in Your wisdom You will work all things for our good; through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
For the Church
- Merciful Lord, grant to Your Church singleness of purpose, that throughout this crisis all we do and say will point to Your dear Son and the forgiveness He has won for all people. Support all of us in our various callings to witness to Your love in Christ, so that the sorrowing and fearful may know where to turn for true comfort and hope. Bless and protect the aid workers dispatched by our Synod, including the chaplains and others who are working directly with our soldiers or serving humanitarian needs, and grant them diligence in the performance of their duties; through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
For Our Enemies
- Almighty, everlasting God, through Your only Son, our blessed Lord, You commanded us to love our enemies, to do good to those who hate us, and to pray for those who persecute us. Therefore we beg You to lead our enemies to true repentance, that they may have the same love toward us as we have toward them, and be of one accord and of one mind and heart with us and with Your whole Church; through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
For the Peacemakers
- Lord of the nations, and God of all peace, pour out Your Spirit in rich measure on those in high places and low, who continue to seek peace during this time of war. Protect them from hate and violence, open their ears, their mouths, and their hearts to pursue the goal of peace, and make the citizens they represent responsive to their care; through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
Collect for Peace
- O God, from whom come all holy desires, all good counsels, and all just works, give to us, Your servants, that peace which the world cannot give, that our hearts may be set to obey Your commandments, and also that we, being defended from the fear of our enemies, may live in peace and quietness; through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
- Grant peace, we pray, in mercy, Lord.
Peace in our time, oh, send us!
For there is none on earth but You,
None other to defend us.
You only, Lord, can fight for us.
(This prayer for peace is taken from Lutheran Worship hymn 219.)
God Bless Our Troops
Sung to the tune of Abide With Me, this hymn is adapted from a version that was written by E. Sparrow of Cardiff, England, and used during World War II.
- God bless our troops, in air, on land, and sea.
Full well we know how dear they are to Thee.
Where'er they go, whatever they may dare
God ever keep them in Thy gracious care.
- God bless our troops, by night as well by day,
For we, at home, for them will ever pray
That war and strife and enmity may cease,
And Thou will send us everlasting peace.
- God bless our troops, oh, keep them ever near!
Make strong their faith, and drive out all their fear.
Give them a vision of Thine eternal love.
That nothing in this world can ever move.
- God guard our troops, and though just now they roam,
Grant us our prayers, and bring them safely home.
God bless our foes and cause their eyes to see
That peace alone can only come from Thee.