New Teacher Induction Program expands
The New Teacher Induction Program guides beginning WELS teachers through their first two years of teaching. Professor Jonathan Schaefer has now begun his fulltime position as New Teacher Induction Coordinator. During his first academic year, Jon will be developing and implementing the synodwide rollout of the program and working with Kathy Horn of Commission on Lutheran Schools (CLS) to ensure a smooth transition from the CLS office to MLC. In this current year:
- Expansion has spread into five districts
- 51 first year teachers have trained mentors
- 26 second year teacher have trained mentors
- 36 trained mentors actively mentoring + 10 more are being trained
- Partnerships are being developed with other universities’ induction consortiums to provide networking, professional development support and research based training.