Early Childhood Center Groundbreaking April 6
On April 6 at 10:00 am, friends of MLC will celebrate the groundbreaking for a new Early Childhood Learning Center (ECLC) at MLC. The groundbreaking service will take place on the construction site at the corner of North Highland and 5th North Street, New Ulm. Come and join the MLC campus family as we celebrate a new chapter in early childhood education at MLC. Pastor Michael Otterstatter will be the officiating pastor, and ECLC staff and students will participate in the ceremony. See the timeline for this important ministry opportunity below.
- 2009 – WELS Conference of Presidents (COP) directs MLC to train more early childhood educators.
- 2009 – MLC Governing Board makes the building of a new ECLC an institutional priority.
- 2009-2010 – MLC conducts research related to needs of current and future early childhood education ministries in WELS.
- April 2010 – MLC Governing Board approves the construction of a new ECLC.
- February 2011 – MLC Governing Board authorizes a capital campaign to fund the project.
- December 2011 – WELS COP authorizes the capital campaign.
- February 2012 – Ministry of Christian Giving counselors and MLC’s Mission Advancement team begin visits to those interested in the project.
- April 2012 – WELS Synodical Council is updated on the campaign funding & construction time table.
- May 2012 – MLC Governing Board delays groundbreaking to allow for additional funding. Construction start is moved from summer 2012 to spring 2013.
- December 2012 – MLC Governing Board authorizes the use of reserve funds to close construction funding gap with a commitment to replace funds as quickly as possible.
- January 17, 2013 – WELS Synodical Council ratifies the use of reserve funds.
- February – Asbestos abatement begins in ECLC building.
- March 25 – Demolition of current structure begins.
- April 6 – MLC celebrates with a groundbreaking service.
- April 8 – Site work and construction begin.
- September – Building is completed and ready for occupancy.