|Reports to:||Custodial Supervisor|
|Prepared By / Date:||Bobbi Fuhr, Human Resources / updated 02-07-2023|
|Approved By / Date:||MLC Administrative Council / 08-06-2020|
|FTE||1.00 FTE – Regular Full-time|
The Custodian for the Custodial Department, a sub department of Environmental Services, performs custodial work in offices, classrooms, dormitories, gymnasium and all college building interiors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The responsibilities and duties of the position shall include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Communicate effectively via phone, email and in-person.
- Clean and sanitize restrooms/showers/bathrooms and ensure dispensers are refilled.
- Clean, dust, and polish furniture and fixtures.
- Sweep, mop, and vacuum floors as well as shampoo carpets.
- Strip, clean, buff, seal, and finish hard surface floors.
- Empty/clean wastebaskets, trash containers and remove recycling materials.
- Wash walls and equipment, using ladders when required.
- Wash accessible interior and exterior windows including cleaning blinds.
- Launder cleaning rags and dust mops.
- Follow instructions regarding the use of chemicals and supplies.
- Responsible for light pest removal.
- Assist with inventory control and security.
- Safely operate and maintain power equipment such as buffers, auto scrubbers, extractors,
high-pressure washers, and vacuums.
- Assist with the set-up of facilities for concerts, conferences, and other events.
- Move furniture, equipment, and supplies as directed.
- Maintain walkways within sixteen feet of building entrances, including snow removal in winter.
- Secure buildings when facilities are not in use.
- Lead, direct and work alongside the student employees, while providing assistance.
- Establish schedules for student workers and assist with supervision of student employees while providing delegation and training as needed.
- Utilize proper personal protective equipment (PPE) as directed.
- Conduct other job-related duties and functions as assigned.
This position may assist in the supervision of student workers while following policies and procedures, and maintaining standards, efficiencies and quality of work.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Although not required, preference may be given to an active member of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod or the Evangelical Lutheran Synod.
- A deep commitment to the mission and core values of WELS and Martin Luther College and an ability to apply that commitment in the performance of daily responsibilities.
- Ability to represent Martin Luther College in a friendly and professional manner, as an effective and experienced written and oral communicator, and with customer service and helpfulness to faculty, staff, students, congregations, schools, local businesses, the community, and the general public.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills with strong attention to detail and time management skills to meet deadlines.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form, including problem-solving skills.
- Ability to handle confidential information appropriately while abiding by privacy laws.
- Exemplify ownership of and demonstrate pride in the fulfillment of responsibilities and tasks.
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively as a team player.
- Candidate must be a self-starter, and independent worker who is able to work collaboratively across divisions and departments, to manage multiple events in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Ability to use appropriate levels of sound judgement with independent decision-making.
- Ability to multi-task and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
- This position may require use of computer programs including internet web-browsers, Gmail and Microsoft products such as Word and Excel.
- Proven capacity to handle various aspects of custodial work.
- Custodial work is generally performed Monday through Friday with additional availability to work some evening hours and some weekend hours is required. Position may also receive emergency calls after hours.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- A high school diploma or general education degree (GED) is required.
- A minimum of three years of related experience is preferred.
- Prior experience in supervision is preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate, and talk or hear. The individual is regularly required to walk, sit, stand, balance, bend, kneel, push or pull. This individual is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel, manipulate objects, tools or controls. This position requires frequent mobility, frequent walking for entire workday and moderate to heavy physical exertion. The employee is required to frequently stand, walk, or sit for long periods of time, reach with hands and arms, bend, balance, coordinate, kneel, crawl, squat, climb while working, climb stairs, twist, turn and work on feet. This individual must
routinely be able to lift and/or move up to 40 pounds, and occasionally be able to lift and/or move up to 80 pounds. This position requires repetitive motions using hands and arms, and legs and feet including twisting, balancing, moving side to side and maintaining a stationary position and performing repetitive motions. Individual
will occasionally climb a ladder and work while standing on a ladder. Individual will operate custodial-related cleaning equipment such as a vacuum, scrubber, extractor, high-pressure washer and buffer. Manual dexterity and coordination are required for 10% of the work period while operating office-related equipment such as phones, computer, computer keyboard, mouse and similar office and classroom machines. The position requires vocal communication by means of the spoken word, and hearing is required to perceive information. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment fluctuates between low, to moderate to moderately high. Individual has exposure to inclement weather, heat and cold, dust and debris. This environment is exposed to Martin Luther College approved chemicals and equipment. Proper use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is required such as restraints, respirators, hearing protection, gloves, mask, goggles, etc. This position does not require travel.
This position is not authorized for telecommuting. On occasion, irregular, evening and weekend hours are required for up to 10% of the position.
Salary is negotiable and commensurate with responsibilities and experience. This is a 1.00 FTE (40-hours weekly), year-round, non-exempt hourly position with benefits.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of expectations for this position, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required by the person working in this position. The individual serving in this position may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed and mutually agreed upon, in order to meet the ongoing needs of Martin Luther College, its students, faculty, and staff. Employing an individual for this position is contingent upon the candidate’s satisfactory completion of a background check.
Click this link to apply online. Open until filled.
Direct all inquiries to Human Resources