Teaching Online Certificate
The Teaching Online Certificate (TOC) program offered through Martin Luther College (MLC) is designed for educators seeking to develop and enhance the skills and strategies needed to become highly effective online teachers. Participants that successfully complete the program will demonstrate proficiency in the design, construction, and teaching of online courses through a Learning Management System (LMS).
All courses will be available through online instruction. Participants who complete 9 credits of TOC program coursework will be issued a Teaching Online Certificate through MLC. Depending on course selection, the 9 credits earned in the TOC program can transfer directly into the Masters of Science in Education program offered through MLC.
Teachers can use the certificate to demonstrate that they are qualified to design and construct online courses and teach in an online environment.
The Teaching Online Certificate program goals are aligned with the College's overall mission objectives of carrying out all instruction and programs of student life according to the gospel as revealed in the inspired Word of God. Through its programs the college desires:
- to strengthen the student in a consecrated spirit of love for God and his Word;
- to educate the whole person for faithful, capable, intelligent citizenship in today’s world;
- to assist the student in acquiring the knowledge, attitudes, and skills needed for service in the church and for lifelong learning; and
- to encourage the student in developing and demonstrating a heart for service in the church, community, and world.
In addition to the above mentioned objectives, the Teaching Online Certificate program and its faculty will aid its participants in:
- exploring, experiencing, and implementing best practices in online learning and teaching;
- enhancing student achievement through the development of new instructional methodologies and higher-level learning activities suitable for the online environment;
- collaborating with fellow educators to build a learning community;
- designing and constructing a fully-functional online course;
- utilizing a Learning Management System (LMS) to learn and teach in an online environment.