You are here: Home / Financial Aid / Work-Study Program

Work-Study Program

Confused about Work Study? Here's how it works...

1. What is Federal Work-Study?

Federal Work-Study is a federal government program that provides partial funding for colleges to employ students with financial need.  The program was established for the purpose of helping qualified students who are in need of financial assistance to pursue a course of study.

MLC participates in the Federal Work-Study (FWS) program.  FWS wages are earned while attending school.  A Federal Work-Study job is different from other (on or off campus) jobs for the following reasons:

  • The federal government pays 75% of student wages.  The remaining 25% is paid with funds from college department budgets
  • Work-Study job opportunities are only offered to qualified students;  those students who show "need" as established by their FAFSA
  • Work-Study earnings are not included when determining the student's expected family contribution for the subsequent year's FAFSA

2. How do I know if I qualify for the Federal Work-Study program?

In order to participate in the Federal Work-Study Program, you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students must have "need" as defined by the FAFSA.  Your need is determined in the Financial Aid Office by reviewing the FAFSA results. In order to maintain eligibility, your must meet all satisfactory academic progress (SAP) requirements for federal student aid. Click here to review MLC's SAP policy.

3. What about subsidized Direct loans and FWS? Can my eligibility change?

To provide you, the student, with the best possible loan, MLC does not include FWS on award letters since the amount of FWS could reduce your eligibility for a subsidized loan. But, if you won't need a subsidized loan, you can decline the loan and your eligibility for FWS will increase. You do need to be aware that receiving a scholarship or grant from an outside source will reduce your "need" and may reduce or eliminate your eligibility for FWS and for subsidized loans.

4. How much can I earn?

Minimum rate of pay is $8.00 per hour after August 1, 2014. You will be paid on the 15th and 30th of the month. It will be up to you to use proceeds of your check to pay your college account.

5. Are FWS jobs only on campus?

Several non-profit institutions in New Ulm hire Federal Work-Study students. The Brown County Historical Society, St. Paul's Lutheran Grade School and the MLC Early Childhood Learning Center have several openings annually.

6. Which MLC departments hire work-study eligible students?

A number of campus departments hire work-study eligible students. Supervisors will review applications and select applicants based on their job qualifications. Some departments hire only work-study eligible students in order to better manage their budgets.

7. If I am eligible, will I be assigned a Federal Work-Study job, or will I need to find a job on my own?

MLC does not assign work study jobs to eligible students as part of their financial aid. Students will be provided the tools to find work if needed. The Financial Aid office maintains the Job Opportunities web blog with a wide variety of employment opportunities for MLC students.

If you have any questions about the Work-Study Program at MLC contact the MLC Financial Aid office



Related content
Students Looking for Work