Student Resources General Information
The Network Services staff welcomes your questions. We are here to help. The help desk is usually manned Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 4:00 pm and Sunday through Thursday from 7:30 pm to 10:30 pm.
If you are in any computer lab with a blue phone, just pick it up to reach the help desk.
- All students have computer network accounts.
- A student account provides access to email, word processing, spreadsheet & database functions, library catalog, other utilities and Internet access.
- Security on the network is important. You will be required to change your password every 30-60 days. You will not be allowed to reuse passwords. Do not give your password to anyone else. You should immediately notify Network Services if you have reason to believe that someone has obtained unauthorized access to your account. If you forget your password, come to Network Services. You will be required to have picture ID to have your password changed. Your username and password is you. You will be held liable for anything done under your username.
- Each student has 250 megabytes (MB) of disk storage on the network. When you reach your limit some applications will not run. In this circumstance you will be advised to delete files to make space.
- Printing to network printers is metered at a cost of $0.05 per page. Each student is given a credit of $12.50 (250 pages) at the beginning of each semester. If you need additional printing, you may make a deposit for print credit at the Network Services Office (WCC 293) during business hours. Unused print credit will not be refunded in cash except for those who have made cash deposits. To check on your print credit status, login with our Portal username and password at http://papercut.mlc-wels.edu.
- Note that electronic mail (email) is not guaranteed to be private. Network Services will not intentionally inspect the contents of email or disclose the contents to anyone other than the sender or the intended recipient, unless required by law, the policies of MLC, or to maintain the functioning of the MLC network. MLC Network Services reserves the right to cooperate fully with MLC administration, local, state, and federal officials in any investigation relating to email on the MLC network or owned accounts.
- Usage of college owned software is metered and logged as a part of our agreements with the software manufacturers. Internet traffic is monitored and logged. Anyone using this system expressly consents to such monitoring.