You are not currently required to bring your own computer.
Does MLC require students to have their own laptop computers?
No, there is no requirement to have a laptop or other computer of your own. There are computer labs in all dorms, classroom buildings, and the library.
If I bring a computer, what does it need to connect to the campus network?
- It needs to have a network interface and a cable to connect it to a wall jack. The cable needs to be a Cat5 Ethernet cable; a telephone cable will not work.
- It needs a current operating system: Windows 8, Windows 7, modern Linux distributions, or modern version of OS X will work. Windows 98 and Windows ME are not supported. Windows XP support has ended from Microsoft and we are not going to promise any support of this platform in the future either.
- You are responsible for keeping malware and spyware off of your machine. For recommendations, please see our Spyware & Malware page.
- You are required to update your operating system regularly as to keep up with all security patches. This is part of being a good member of the Martin Luther College campus network.
- We no longer support student computers connecting directly to our Novell file servers. We are working on bringing new solutions to faculty, staff, and students alike for both printing and file serving.
How many people have their own computers at MLC?
A little more than half of the students last year had computers connected to the campus network.