How to find dictionaries and encyclopedias.
How to Find Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
Use Dictionaries and Encyclopedias to:
- Get an overview of your topic or issue
- Learn the definitions of terms and concepts
- Identify keywords to use in searching for additional information
Frequently-Used Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online - Academic Edition
Concise, scholarly articles on a wide range of subjects.
- Oxford English Dictionary (OED)
Covers words from across the English-speaking world with etymological analysis, lists of variant spellings and shows pronunciation.
Search Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
Search across multiple reference sources in many subjects, including art, biography, business, cultural studies, education, the environment, history, religion, science, and social science.
- Oxford Reference Online
Search over 100 language and subject dictionaries and reference works.
Find More Dictionaries
- Use the MLC Library Catalog and search for a general subject (e.g. physics or music) and the word dictionary in the search box. OR
- Browse a list of online dictionaries from the MLC Library.
Find More Encyclopedias
- Use the MLC Library Catalog and search for a general subject (e.g. physics or music) and the word encyclopedia in the search box. OR
- from the University Libraries.