Deferment or Declining
Occasionally a student may request that assignment into the Christian ministry be deferred for a year. The most common reasons that students wish to defer is to pursue further study or to serve in the world mission fields through various agencies of WELS. Some students may decline an assignment for various reasons. The following information and procedures should be noted.
- Deferment of assignment – the candidate wishes to delay assignment into full-time public ministry for a period of time – typically one or two years. After the deferred candidate notifies the MLC Director of Clinical Experiences with the intention to return for assignment, the candidate is made available to the Assignment Committee.
- Declining assignment – the candidate does not wish to be assigned into full-time public ministry. Upon approval from the Conference of Presidents, the candidate is removed permanently for assignment consideration. If in the future the person wishes to teach in WELS, the candidate may contact his/her District President.
- Approval of requests for deferment of assignment/declining assignment is granted by the Synodical Assignment Committee, not by the Martin Luther College faculty. Note: Requests may be denied by the Synodical Assignment Committee.
- The MLC faculty is informed of such requests and serves in an advisory capacity to the Assignment Committee.
Discuss your plans with your advisor or with anyone else who may assist you.
A letter of request for deferment of assignment or declining assignment should be addressed and mailed to the President of WELS, who serves as the chair of the Assignment Committee. Mail to this address:
President of WELS
2929 N Mayfair Rd
Milwaukee, WI 53222
- State specifically the reason for the request. If you are deferring for further study, an area of study should be identified and specific college or university indicated. If you are planning to serve in Friends of China, state so. Indicate the period of time requested for deferment and when you intend to be ready for assignment.
- If you are declining, state the reason why (family reasons, pursuing a different career, etc.)
Copies of your letter should be submitted to the President of MLC and to the Director of Clinical Experiences.
- May Graduates - Requests for deferment of/declining assignment should be submitted by March 15. The Assignment Committee considers these requests at their quarterly meetings.
- December Graduates - Requests for deferment of/declining assignment should be submitted by November 15.